The Clean Electronics Production Network recently anounced the Toward Zero Exposure program, which has been endorsed by Apple, Dell Technologies, and HP Inc. in order to commit to accelerate efforts in chemical safety and raise awareness of the need to improve chemical management practices across the global electronics manufacturing industry.
The main points of the commitment include:
- “Prioritize the elimination or substitution of priority chemicals with safer alternatives and continue to protect workers until that is achieved
- Collect data on the process chemicals used in manufacturing electronic products
- Advance worker engagement and participation as an essential element of a best-in-class safety culture for managing process chemicals
- Reach deeper into the overlapping and complex electronics supply chain to reduce worker exposure to hazardous chemicals
- Verify and report to ensure progress toward implementing the commitments to strengthen accountability to workers, the public, and other stakeholders”.