A lithium battery project facility in Victoria, Australia, was burning for more than three days. A Tesla battery bank caught fire while it was being set up in Moorabool on Friday morning and then spread to a second battery.
A French renewable energy giant, Neoen, produced the 300MW battery. It registered the project with the energy market operator on 28 July.
The fire of mega pack battery is the first-ever happened in the world. Firefighters did not know what to do to put out the fire. They cannot put water on the mega packs as water will only extend the length of time that the fire burns for. Tesla, the battery’s creator, and UGL who are installing the battery packs recommended cooling everything around it so the fire cannot spread and let it burn out.
A lithium battery fire also broke last month (July) in Illinois, US. hundreds of thousands of pounds of lithium-ion batteries, forcing nearly 5,000 people to evacuate their homes. Firefighters tried to use cement to smother the burning lithium batteries. They also used dry chemicals to put out the fire.